I love to read!
Whether you're newly diagnosed or seasoned in your journey, there are a variety of books related to Autism but where should you start? Sharing 5 (older) reads that I've enjoyed as an Autism Parent/Professional:
- Rules - about a twelve year-old girls who's brother has Autism and the family revolves around his disability. She questions, "What is normal?" Great for Preteens and up.
- Autism Breakthrough - an oldie but goodie. Before you jump to the conclusion of this being a "cure," I ask you to give it a chance. There are some great suggestions for language encouragement, reframing your child's environment, and recognizing the functions of behavior.
- Social Skills for Teenagers and Adults with Asperger's syndrome - excellent examples for the gap between teen / adult years.
- Understanding Your Child's Sensory Signals A Practical Daily Use Handbook for Parents and Teachers - this is an absolute MUST read for a parent of a sensory-seeking child. It's an easy read with practical application. It makes my Top 5 of all!
- 101 Games and Activities for Children With Autism, Asperger’s and Sensory Processing Disorders - perfect for early childhood parents and professionals.
Click below to view my complete list of Neurodiversity reads and resources.